Session at European SharePoint Conference 2001 from Davide Colombo & Barbara Falchi.
Davide demonstrated how to build a webpage with standard features of SharePoint which are available out of the box. They don’t build a custom user control. So what steps you have to take?
The site complexity depends on what you want. If you think about layout, navigation tree, features, custom contents.
Translate in SharePoint – ” Building the Master Page”
- Define the must haves in the master page (Header, Navigation, Footer, Area for Page title, etc.)
- Use components which are already there: Ribbons, Navigation, Placeholders (look at the minimum in the web), Controls which SharePoint need like Quick launch, Logo and so on.
- Create custom placeholder for banners
- use reusable contents + jquery and SPServices for the footer
- In SP Designer create a new Master page and insert all needed controls and placeholder where you want it to have
If you like that the ribbon always stays in the window you can use css therefore with using overflow.
There are some more tricks on the web.The article or information provided here represents completely my own personal view & thought. It is recommended to test the content or scripts of the site in the lab, before making use in the production environment & use it completely at your own risk. The articles, scripts, suggestions or tricks published on the site are provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.